An alleged attempt to sexually assault a young girl on a public beach in occupied Kyrenia has prompted widespread concern and tighter security measures.
The self-styled mayor of Kyrenia, Murat Şenkul, said patrols by the “municipal police” had been increased, while planning had begun for permanent beach security measures in 2027.
Bystanders detain suspect
Turkish Cypriot websites published footage on Friday purportedly showing a man attempting to sexually assault the girl in broad daylight.
Other beachgoers intervened and detained the man, before handing him over to the “municipal police”. He was subsequently transferred to the “police” and brought before a “court”, which ordered that he remain in custody.
Calls for broader controls
In a social media post carried by Turkish Cypriot media on Saturday, Şenkul said the increased patrols did not represent a permanent solution.
He argued that the underlying issue required a full restructuring of “state authority”, saying the authorities needed to know the whereabouts and activities of people entering the occupied areas for work or holidays throughout their stay.
Şenkul said no one should be allowed to remain illegally in the breakaway regime. He added that approximately 10,000 people had benefited from a recent immigration amnesty, which he said showed that “at least 10,000 people were in the country illegally during the amnesty period”.
Changing population and crime
Şenkul also said the growing and changing population could result in more criminal incidents than in the past. He urged politicians not to wait for the situation to resolve itself, citing examples from other countries.
Cyprus is a small island, he added, and could again become one of the safest and most peaceful places in the world if the political leadership took the necessary measures.
“This is our home. We must solve the problems here because we have nowhere else to go,” Şenkul concluded.
Source: CNA


