Gaza Book Withdrawal Sparks Censorship Row

Header Image

Photograph: Ellen Smith/The Guardian

A public library in Sydney has temporarily withdrawn a book on media coverage of Gaza following a complaint, prompting criticism from the author and free-expression advocates.

A public library in Sydney has temporarily removed the book How to Sell a Genocide: The Media's Complicity in the Destruction of Gaza for review following a complaint reportedly lodged by a survivor of the Bondi Beach attack. The decision has prompted criticism from the author and several organisations in Australia, raising concerns about censorship and public access to controversial or challenging books.

The book, written by American journalist and media critic Adam H. Johnson, was published by Pluto Press in April 2026. It examines the way US media outlets covered the war and destruction in Gaza.

The complaint that led to the removal

The issue first emerged through the Australian Jewish news outlet J-Wire, which reported on 13 August that a survivor of the Bondi Beach attack had expressed strong objection on Facebook after seeing the book prominently displayed in the Waverley Library under the category "New Release / Hot Item".

According to J-Wire, following contact between the publication and Waverley Council, the council issued a statement confirming that the book had been temporarily removed from library shelves while its inclusion in the collection was reviewed. The council also indicated that it would examine procedures for stricter oversight of book selection.

The council clarified that, as is common practice in many public libraries, the selection, ordering and purchasing of books are outsourced to external contractors rather than being handled directly by municipal staff.

Guardian Australia, which published a detailed report on the case on Tuesday, noted that it was unable to locate the Facebook post in question and therefore relied on J-Wire's reporting regarding the complaint.

Author objects

The decision triggered a strong response from Adam Johnson, who told The Guardian that the use of the term "genocide" in relation to Gaza is not, in his opinion, a fringe or extreme position.

He also criticised the notion that a book could be removed because its content or title causes discomfort to some readers.

Johnson questioned whether the same logic could be applied to books supportive of Israel, given that such works may also generate strong reactions among Palestinians or other readers.

Israel has repeatedly rejected allegations that it is committing genocide in Gaza.

"Libraries should include difficult books"

Criticism also came from the Jewish Council of Australia.

Bart Shteinman, a member of the council's executive committee, described the removal of the book for review as particularly concerning, arguing that public libraries should contain a diversity of views and subject matter, even when they provoke disagreement.

A similar position was expressed by Nasser Mashni, president of the Australia Palestine Advocacy Network, who said that a library's role is to provide society with access to a broad range of published works, including those that may challenge readers or make them uncomfortable.

David Shulman, speaking on behalf of Pluto Press, said understanding what is happening in Gaza and how events there are covered by the media is a matter of significant public interest.

He argued that the book should be widely available, including through public libraries.

Debate over book bans

The controversy has gained added significance because New South Wales amended its Library Act 1939 in June 2026, strengthening legal protections for the freedom of public libraries to build and manage their collections.

According to information published by the State Library of New South Wales, the change was specifically intended to protect libraries' ability to collect a broad range of material and to withstand pressure from individuals or groups seeking to restrict their collections.

How to Sell a Genocide has not been permanently excluded from the Waverley Library collection.

It has been withdrawn pending review, and the council's final decision is now being closely watched as the issue broadens into a wider debate about freedom to read, censorship and the limits of sensitivity towards traumatised communities.

Source: The Guardian