Farmers mobilised in the Palaiometocho area of Nicosia on Monday afternoon, blocking roads in protest over plans to transport culled animals from another location for burial in the area.
According to the Police, protesters used tractors to cut off roads, opposing the decision by the Veterinary Services. Residents of Palaiometocho also joined the protest, standing alongside farmers and expressing concern over the possible impact of burying the animals in the area.
The Veterinary Services decided that culled cattle should be transported 12 kilometres away from the unit that tested positive for foot-and-mouth disease.
The decision has caused concern and strong reactions in western Nicosia. Veterinary Services Director Christodoulos Pipis said earlier on Monday that the measure was taken because a large pig farm is located next to the infected cattle unit in Palaiometocho, which housed 160 animals. He said the pig farm had to be protected.
Pipis also explained that burial could not take place next to the infected farm because of nearby boreholes. Some of them, he said, either have agreements with the District Local Government Organisation to supply water, or are expected to be included in such agreements.
He added that the nearby plots are privately owned and not state land that has been examined from a geological and hydrological perspective to ensure that burial would be safe and would not contaminate underground aquifers.


