Third €20 Million Call Announced for Home Energy Upgrades

Header Image

Applications are expected to open in September under the latest round of the grant scheme, which supports insulation, solar systems, heating and cooling upgrades, and other energy-saving works.

 

The Ministry of Energy, Commerce and Industry has announced a third call for the “Save and Upgrade Homes” scheme, with a budget of €20 million.

The submission of applications is expected to begin in September, Energy Minister Michael Damianos said on Friday, adding that the new call will bring the total amount made available through the Thalia programme for home energy upgrades to €85 million.

Support of up to €32,000 per home

The scheme provides financial support of up to €32,000 per residence, depending on the type of investment.

Eligible works include thermal insulation, replacement of windows and doors, installation of shading systems, upgrades to heating and cooling systems, installation of solar water heating systems, installation of photovoltaic systems with or without energy storage, and services provided by qualified experts.

The minister said particular emphasis is being placed on vulnerable households, homes in mountain areas and refugee homes in refugee settlements. The grant amount for these categories will be increased by 20%.

Who can apply

The scheme is addressed exclusively to individuals and concerns the upgrading of existing homes owned by individuals and built before January 1, 2008.

Eligible applicants must have an existing Electricity Authority of Cyprus domestic tariff account in the name of an individual. The home must have been first connected to the electricity grid before January 1, 2008, or the application for planning permission must have been submitted before December 21, 2007.

Damianos said the scheme is continuing because demand remains strong, giving people who had not applied in previous rounds the opportunity to do so.

He noted that the budget is lower than in previous calls because significant funding has already been allocated. The third call amounts to €20 million, €10 million less than the previous round, which reached €30 million following an additional call.

Changes after delays in previous payments

During the press conference, ministry officials said delays had been recorded in the examination of payment requests under the previous call, after a large number of applications were submitted almost simultaneously last summer.

Damianos said procedures and corrective measures have now been completed, with the aim of accelerating and improving the examination of requests.

A ministry official explained that, because of the large volume of payment applications, a request had to be submitted to the European Commission, which oversees the allocation of the funds, to allow for selective on-site checks.

This means applications will be prioritised according to risk level. In low-risk cases, payments may be made even without an on-site inspection of the works.

Low-risk cases may include applications for small amounts, applications submitted by technicians and experts with a consistently good track record of cooperation with the ministry, or applications involving limited works.

Applications open in September

Damianos said grant schemes for energy upgrades are not only an environmental choice but also contribute to national and European targets for reducing emissions, while forming part of wider social policy.

“Through the Save and Upgrade Homes scheme, we are giving more households the opportunity to reduce their energy costs, improve their living conditions and take an active part in the country’s green transition,” he said.

Interested applicants may contact qualified experts from today for an on-site visit to their home and the issuing of an Energy Performance Certificate. They may also proceed with the implementation of investments if they wish.

The electronic submission of applications will begin in September. A detailed implementation guide will be posted on the ministry’s website, while a helpline will also operate on 17107.

Source: CNA