Personal Envoy Returning to Island After Long Absence

Header Image

Limited transparency in the beleaguered peace effort fuels speculation as to what comes next.

 

The UN Secretary-General’s Personal Envoy María Angela Holguín will return to Cyprus on June 6, according to sources, marking a four-month absence from the island.

Her planned visit was first reported by Ankara-based Turkish Cypriot journalist Yusuf Kanlı, who said the personal envoy is expected to return to Cyprus around June 6 before continuing consultations in Ankara around June 15 and later in Athens as part of a renewed round of shuttle diplomacy aimed at assessing whether conditions exist for a possible enlarged ‘5+1’ meeting with the guarantor powers.   

He argued that the war with Iran has rapidly transformed the Eastern Mediterranean into “one of the world’s most sensitive security and logistical theatres”. This, in turn, makes the unresolved Cyprus issue “increasingly viewed as a strategic platform situated at the intersection of energy security, military access, maritime control and regional influence competition,” he said.

Politis was able to confirm Holguín’s planned arrival on June 6 with one of the sides to the discussions. Asked about the purpose of her visit, the source said it was likely connected with the initiative UNSG Antonio Guterres is expected to undertake in July to bring the sides back to the table.

Four months absence

Holguín was last in Cyprus to oversee a meeting between the two leaders on 28 January 2026 at the UN-controlled, old Nicosia airport, which focused on confidence-building measures (CBMs) and ways to resume formal peace talks.

Prior to the meeting, she had called on President Nikos Christodoulides and Turkish Cypriot leader Tufan Erhürman to push forward with weighty CBMs that could help unlock the door towards a new ‘5+1’ meeting.

Clearly disappointed, the personal envoy acknowledged after the meeting that the Cyprus peace effort was “a little bit more slow” than other processes. Asked if the leaders had heeded her call for progress, Holguín replied: “Not yet.”

Two weeks later, the UN envoy published an opinion piece suggesting her return to the island depended on whether she can contribute to a “specific step forward”. She noted the first six months of 2026 were not conducive to formal talks and suggested the leaders use the time in between to figure out how to resume negotiations in early July.

The mysterious initiative

Since then, the leaders have met three times on their own at the UN Special Representative’s residence, holding tete-a-tetes and on occasion inviting their negotiators to join. President Christodoulides has repeatedly stated that an initiative of the UNSG Antonio Guterres is already underway with the aim of achieving progress on the Cyprus issue before his tenure comes to a close at the end of the year.

The last leaders’ meeting on 8 May produced a series of low-level CBMs, with Christodoulides saying after that the aim is to hold an expanded ‘5+1’ meeting this summer to announce a resumption of talks.

Last Tuesday, the President said in an interview with Alpha News that a settlement plan could be submitted before the end of the year. This sparked a riot of speculation as to what – if anything – was taking place behind the scenes to justify the positive forecast. A Turkish Cypriot source said there was “no concrete development” to support such speculation.

In recent months, reliable sources from both sides have confirmed to Politis that Guterres’ initiative is real, but what shape it will take and how he plans to get the sides back to the negotiating table remain unknown. The sources hoped Holguín’s eventual arrival would shed some light on the murky picture.