Trump Cancels Planned Strike on Iran as Tensions Remain High

Header Image

US signals readiness for attack despite renewed push for negotiations

Donald Trump said he cancelled a planned military strike against Iran at the last moment, expressing optimism that a deal between Washington and Tehran may still be possible.

The US president stated that the attack, which had been scheduled for Tuesday, was halted following requests from Gulf leaders, including Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, who believe a diplomatic agreement could be reached.

“Very good chances” for a deal

Trump said there were “very good chances” of reaching an understanding with Iran, adding that he would prefer a deal to military action.

“If we can do that without bombing them and destroying them, I would be very happy,” he said, while describing recent indirect talks as “very positive.”

At the same time, he stressed that US forces remain prepared to launch a large‑scale attack at any moment if negotiations fail.

Iran warns of retaliation

Iran responded with strong warnings, with the head of its armed forces stating that the military remains ready to act against any “mistake” by the United States or its allies.

“The Iranian army has its finger on the trigger,” he said, according to state media.

Diplomatic efforts continue

Talks between the two sides have been limited, with only one direct meeting held in Islamabad on 11 April, which ended without agreement.

Iran has repeated demands for the lifting of international sanctions and the release of frozen assets, while insisting it will not abandon what it describes as its legitimate rights.

“Dialogue does not mean surrender,” President Masoud Pezeshkian said.

Strait of Hormuz remains key

The situation continues to affect global markets, particularly through disruption to shipping in the Strait of Hormuz, a key route for energy exports.

Oil prices rose again, with Brent crude reaching $112 per barrel, as uncertainty persists.

Shipping traffic in the strait has partially recovered in recent days, returning closer to average levels following earlier disruption.

Western countries and the EU have reaffirmed their support for freedom of navigation, rejecting any attempt to restrict passage through the strategic waterway.

Source: CNA