Hambis Cautiously Optimistic Over Printmaking School Future

Header Image

The acclaimed printmaker says talks were positive but will wait for concrete developments before abandoning plans to dismantle the school and museum.

Hambis Tsangaris says he is cautiously optimistic about the future of the Hambis School and Museum of Printmaking in Plataniskia following talks with government officials over the leasing dispute that threatened its future.

"I hope the intentions are genuine and that this ordeal will come to an end," the veteran printmaker said, adding that he is prepared to give the process time to develop.

'The mood was positive'

Tsangaris said discussions held on Thursday in Nicosia involved Interior Minister Constantinos Ioannou, officials from the Deputy Ministry of Culture and the Turkish Cypriot Properties Management Service, as well as his son Giorgos Tsangaris, who heads the non-profit company that operates the school and museum.

According to the artist, the talks were held in a positive atmosphere and a solution has begun to take shape.

However, he stressed that the matter has not yet been resolved and that he has not permanently withdrawn his threat to dismantle the facilities.

"If something goes wrong, we will proceed as we began this protest."

Thanks supporters

Tsangaris also thanked supporters in Cyprus and abroad who rallied behind the school after he announced plans to dismantle the museum and educational facilities.

He said public support helped accelerate efforts to find a solution and place the issue back on the agenda.

"I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your moving messages and strong support."

Awaiting official announcement

The artist's comments follow statements by Ioannou earlier on Friday that a solution had been found to the dispute over the lease of the premises.

The Interior Minister said the family had been informed and was satisfied with the proposed arrangement, which is expected to be announced in the coming days.

The controversy began after authorities rejected a request to transfer the lease of the Turkish Cypriot property to the non-profit organisation operating the school and museum, prompting Tsangaris to threaten to dismantle the site in protest.

TAGS