Trump Scales Back US-South Korea Drills, Citing Ties With Kim

Header Image

The US president says the annual exercises are costly and send an inappropriate, hostile signal to Pyongyang.

 

Donald Trump has ordered a significant reduction in US participation in joint military exercises with South Korea, pointing to what he described as his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

The decision comes as the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises get under way, with Pyongyang once again denouncing the drills as a rehearsal for invasion.

Trump questions cost and message of drills

Writing on Truth Social on Sunday, US President Donald Trump said Washington’s involvement in this year’s exercises with South Korea should be “significantly reduced”.

Trump argued that the drills were “not only costly” but also sent what he called a “completely inappropriate and hostile” message to North Korea.

He claimed that North Korea had not behaved in a threatening manner since he returned to office and had instead shown “respect” towards the United States.

The large-scale annual exercises, known as Ulchi Freedom Shield, began on Monday and are scheduled to last 11 days. They are intended to prepare South Korean and US forces for a possible attack by nuclear-armed North Korea.

Seoul’s position on Iran

In the same Truth Social post, Trump also noted that South Korea had not participated in US military operations against Iran.

“Although somewhat unrelated, I recently asked the president of South Korea whether his country wanted to join us in denuclearising the Islamic Republic of Iran, and he said, ‘No thanks!’” Trump wrote.

Trump recalls 2019 meeting with Kim

A day earlier, Trump posted a photograph of himself alongside Kim during their historic meeting in 2019, which took place during his first term in office.

“Although we do not look very friendly in this particular photograph, there are many where we are smiling,” he wrote in the caption.

“Kim Jong Un and I get along GREAT!” Trump added, using capital letters for emphasis.

Pyongyang warns of stronger response

North Korea condemned the joint exercises last week, warning that it could take “more forceful” deterrence measures in response.

Pyongyang views the drills conducted by Washington and Seoul as preparations for an invasion of its territory.

Last Wednesday, North Korea launched a ballistic missile towards the East Sea, also known as the Sea of Japan. The weapons test was widely interpreted as a protest against the military exercises.

Source: APE-MPE